History of Hunmanby Hall
THE FAWCETT LIBRARY
1936 saw contributions and donations subscribing to the building of a school Library. Named after a prime donator as the Fawcett Library, it was a large detached building situated upon Castle Hill inside the school’s grounds. Today, 2005, it is a private residence. This proved a great asset to the pupils, they could now study in purpose-built premises provided with all the appropriate books. Complete silence was mandatory and there was always a member of staff on duty to enforce this rule. Subscriptions took many forms. Direct, endowed and the right of any pupil or parent to subscribe ‘nine-pence’ (in old money’) to buy a brick. Interestingly, some coins from the ‘brick collection’ were carefully inserted into the cement mortar between the bricks whilst it was still moist and can still be found by careful examination. Many parents also subscribed books or money with which to buy same.
The downstairs consisted of the main library room which was beautifully panelled-out in oak. Upstairs were five staff bedrooms and adjacent toilet facilities. When completed the library provided pupils with a fine area for quiet study – instead of, as previously, they had to find a free classroom or similar. Until the building of this library the Castle Hill section of the Hall ground had always been completely ‘out-of-bounds’ to the pupils. Now of course, it was necessary to cross part of Castle Hill to gain access to the library.
THE METHODIST CHURCH
The opening of our school in 1928 at Hunmanby Hall was an epic. Our school was established through much care and thought by the Founders. Together with a worthy team of Governors from several parts of Yorkshire. The older Methodist schools - Woodhouse Grove and Ashville College in Harrogate had in Hunmanby Hall a ‘sister school’ The religious background established had pupils from Roman Catholic and local schools. The pupils attended weekly services on Sunday in the Chapel in the village and daily morning prayers in the School Assembly Hall. Evening services each week at the school saw many visiting preachers - some who had daughters at the school. To name but a few - Rev Butterworth, Rev Hopkins and Rev Gibson.
The Sunday morning services at the Bridlington Street Chapel saw 250 pupils walking in crocodile down from the school. In navy blue suits with hats and gloves they added greatly to the village congregation. Our musical contribution to the service was noticeable - the choirs and some had solos arranged. The Christian belief was established in us all and our School became an extremely happy and well run place of education. The schools first chaplain was the Rev. F. Prett Green - the well known hymn writer. He and his successors took classes of girls for preparation into the Methodist Church - an annual service being held in the chapel. The school progressed and from 1928 - its silver, golden and diamond jubilees - each with significant services to celebrate. Girls of families for the Church of England had their preparation classes for membership conducted in the church vestry with confirmation services at All Saints Church.